Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Welcome to the 1700's...



Ok, I have been compelled to post about this. I am doing this not from home, but from another computer. Why? All in good time…

I would like to start out by thanking one of my good friends Benjamin Franklin. After all, he is credited for discovering electricity. Without him I would not be able to watch television, play XBOX, blog, stay cool in the summer, or do many other things that require electricity.

I always thought that electricity would be there for me. Many of you know that Ashley and I have not always lived out in the boonies. We once lived in the middle of a city filled with springs, it was a good time. We were there for a bit more than 3 years. The electricity went out on us once. It sucked. However, it was nothing compared to what I would later have to later endure after moving to far, far away.

We have now been in our current residence for about 8 months. Now, take a guess at how many times the electricity has gone out. Go ahead… 3? 4? No. Six. Six freaking times. It is ridiculous. The latest time this happened (before today – that is why I am posting from somewhere other than my house - no electricity) I was playing FIFA. I thought, ‘ok, no big deal, I’ll just turn on the TV and see… er, well, maybe I’ll just go check the blogs… er.’ Then I start to panic. What am I supposed to do for entertainment? Read? Play with Tyler? Go for a walk? Don’t be crazy. Every time it happens feel like I live in the 1700’s. We have to find and light some candles and some lamps and wait until the problem is fixed.

Of course, I exaggerate. The problem is usually fixed in a relatively timely manner. I just can’t believe that it happens so often. What is going on here?

Anyway, I had to let you all know. There are benefits of living far away from the freeway, far away from grocery stores, far away from golf courses, and far away from civilization. Just a fair warning to you all – you will also be far away from electric efficiency.

23 comments:

Tikes said...

So did you put on some knickerbockers and a whig or what? You could have created static electricity with your socks on the carpet.

Besides that...I think the farming folk might be playing a little trick on you city folk. They know that it ticks you off, so they just flip the breakers upstairs.

Unknown said...

what exactly are the benefits of living so far from everything? you kind of left those out.

Unknown said...

i guess when the power goes out you could make a phone call, or text someone from your cell phone.....oh, wait...

Riley Alexander said...

"what do I do for entertainment" ect...

Hilariouse

Unknown said...

Hub, you think electricity is cool...just wait till you get indoor plumbing out there, you'll love it.

Hub said...

Seriously. I am still thinking of all the benefits of living as a caveman with a car... I will let you know when I know. One of them for sure is the smell. So awesome - and FYI - I get one bar in a 2 square foot area in the driveway. I just choose not to further humiliate myself by trying to actually contact anyone that may be out there by way of cell phone. I have to send my text while spinning in circles hoping it will work. I call it my service dance to the reception gods. Do any of you know how to work those 2 way radios that are in the movie 'Contact'? How about Morse code?

Tobias said...

Why don't you go to Warm Springs? Get a Gun, There are plenty of things to shoot out there? reading Helps. I once spent two years without Electricity. I sang church hyms, and read about 50 books by candle light. Go toilet papering... Come on Hub use your imagination...

Ashley said...

Maybe Tyson Casey can borrow some of your books for the next time. Cuz I'm pretty sure there will be a next time.

Unknown said...

you can go cow tipping, throw stuff off the bridge......

Tikes said...

I have so many awesome books...nobody dares refute that....Dr. P is just jealous of my book collection.

Tikes said...

Smoke signals are a good way to communicate.

Tobias said...

Go pee off of the overpass. War Dr. P for his Cow tipping comment. Get a Paint Ball Gun, and if it all fails Doesnt Pat Jolly still live out there? Call Pat and go and hang out.

Riley Alexander said...

Pat, wow. If you hang out with Pat consider yourself excommunicated from team Awesome

Unknown said...

excommunicated? sweet! good call Ri-pope

Hub said...

I did just finish 'The Last Battle' by C.S. Lewis - you know - the chronicles of Narnia. That is pretty much my level.

Riley Alexander said...

I am picking up a book from Tikes today to possibly read on the trip. I'm not saying I will, i'm just saying the possibilty will be there.

Tikes said...

Did you like the last judgement? I loved that part. I was sort of sad that Susan chose to be a Laman and Lemuel though. Her loss.

Tikes said...

Update....Ri-Bone did come over to borrow a book, his questions were not ...."is that a good one"? or "what is that about"?...Instead he queried repeatedly "how many pages is it"?

He walked away with Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton.

Unknown said...

I have read that book and thoroughly injoyed it. It is written in a style that mimiks old english, as if it were written first person by an ancient iraqi. My guess is that ri-bone makes it 1.5 pages into it and then quits, stating "this isnt even written in english!"

Tobias said...

Hub watch out!! The blungle is going to get mad at you for not posting...

Tikes said...

Talk about welcome to the 1700's....in the 21st century we have electronic devices that make it very easy to post more than once a month....

Unknown said...

Your posting schedule should be more often than the female menses.
ouch.

Tikes said...

Casey...it is July 8th. This post was composed June 10th. You are pretty much kicked out of team Awesome for not being Awesome right now.