Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Warning: Not Funny...



OK, here is the deal. This post may not interest anybody besides Colby, but I have no choice. I have to post about something - so here goes... I recently aquired my clinical schedule for this semester. I am pleased to announce to you all that I am actually looking forward to going to the hospital. I know, that sounds crazy, but after hearing about my set up this semester and comparing it to the mother/baby rotation I had to go through last semester - ya, that's what I thought.

Ok, so I start off with 2 weeks at Primary Children's - my first day I saw alot of RSV and a lot of tubes stuck up noses to pull out excess boogers. It was ok. Next week I will be in the PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit). We walked through it last week and all the patients had seriously like 12 IV pumps going... that is insane. But that is not really what I am looking forward to...

This semester at UVRMC (not my choice of hospitals - but that is where we all are) I will spend 3 days in the CCU (Cardiac Care Unit). I understand that this is where the critically ill heart patients are. This will be very interesting. Dr. P worked there or on a similar floor at the U I believe? Anyway, I am really excited. I will also work on the telemetry floor which I think is like a Med/Surg but still with heart problems. I will also be at the wound care clinic for a day and somewhere else for a day, I can't remember where.

Now, just so you all know - if I could have chosen where I could go - I would have chosen where I am going. Did that make sense? I hope that I can be of some assistance to the nurses that I will be shadowing there. Doc P, any suggestions on what I can expect to see or expect to do or need to know? That would be great. I think that I would like to work somewhere like this. I am not sure because, obviously, I haven't been there, but cardiac is awesome.

So there is your update. Super funny, right? I know.

War the Patriots getting beat down. War Tom Brady getting ''put to the ground" all game. War Bill not being the genius that everyone said he is. I loved every second. Oh, and war the 7-layer bean dip that my superstar wife made. It was crawling with tomatoes. So freaking good. One more - War my mother-in-law telling me that I am a bad influence for watching the superbowl. I told her to just embrace the whole experience. Maybe I should post that story?

4 comments:

Riley Alexander said...

I would agree with D. but for the fact that like half the mormon male population will miss church on that day for the game, and overall like 50 kajillion (a real number) people all also watching that.

Unknown said...

Hub, that does sound like a real treat to be at the hospital in those units. I'm sure that your enthusiasm will help in learning that crap. what you will most likely see is a lot of a-fib, and some bundle branch blocks and maybe some first degree blocks as well, those are the most common in people that are still alive and are not being CPR'd. If you want, start asking questions like how do I get a job here, lay some groundwork if you really like it. Oh, and Ri-rating the actual number for superbowlers was something like 67 million, and I still attended church that day, so I fullfilled most of my duty.

Ashley said...

Yes Casey was the bad influence when it was my dad who invited us to watch it on his tv. She gave up trying to make my dad feel guilty awhile ago.

Riley Alexander said...

I didn't go to church instead I puked a couple times. It was great. Then I watched the game and periodically barfed again throughout the game as needed. Was anyone's super bowl as awesome as mine? I think not.