Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Clinical Update...


For those of you who don't know - that is an IV syringe. That is what health care professionals and health care not so professionals get to poke you with whenever we find it necessary. Pretty sweet, huh? I was in the ER for my clinical today - don't worry - no bloody trauma stories. I did, however, go a perfect 3 for 3 on IV insertions. Yes, I was en fuego. I did my first before shift change for Pete's sake - talk about walking in ready to roll. It was awesome. There is nothing quite like seeing the blood flush back into the syringe. It's a beautiful thing.

Also of note - we had a lottery type thing last time in class and we picked where we would do our preceptorship or mini residency type deal for clinical next year. I got my #1 choice - Mt. View Hospital ICU. I was pretty excited about that. Hopefully by the time I become a nurse in December I will be competent enough to help people more than hurt them. Baby steps...

8 comments:

Rachelle Carling said...

Hey man, Its good to find your blog. It sounds like you are doing well. Your brother Riley's blog is funny. I can only guess that "tikes" is your pansy brother Tyson. You know the one that was in that gay group called the click. Well keep in touch here is a link to our blog.

Unknown said...

other things that are awesome are: blood flowing into your central line needle, spurting blood out of your arterial line catheter, no CSF flowing out of your epidural needle, CSF swirling in your spinal syringe, and two white vocal cords swallowing an endotracheal tube. IV's are a good start, but there are many more to come

Hub said...

Ah yes, there is much to learn indeed. As I said before... baby steps. It just saddens me that many reading this will not partake of such joys.

Unknown said...

Like the white fruit from the tree of life, many shall turn away and not partake. But few are those who shall find true joy and happiness.....your mom should get that

Riley Alexander said...

So what i'm getting here is that basically two of my brothers are cannibals or atleast enjoy cutting other people with knifes or stabbing them with needles to watch them leak blood. My other brother was part of a homosexual following in high school. mmmmm, lets see, we're all Braves fans though. I can live with that.

Tikes said...

Refer to my blog for an apology from Kody....he realized his mistake and owned up to it immediately.

Riley Alexander said...

I didn't see it tikes

Tikes said...

It was on the older post.