Sunday, July 13, 2008

Shown Up By A Girl, Again...


Ashley is a stud mini golfer. I don't know where her massive skill comes from, but I have never beaten her on a miniature golf course. I haven't even come close. Now, my putting skills are terrible, but that is besides the point. Some of you reading this may recall Fiesta Fun in St. George a while back (maybe 2-3 years ago?) when we went couples best ball and Ashley smoked you all to bring the free dessert our way? I do. It was awesome.

Fast forward to yesterday. We went golfing. A co-worker's wife wanted to take him for his birthday and we got the invite. Basically, I was forced to go golfing again. I know, a sacrifice that had to be made. Anyway, Ash had told me beforehand not to make her swing a club at all - she was just the cart driver and caddie.

So we went out the back and I was not even good. I three putted the 10th green starting with a double bogey. I pretty much 3 putted a lot. So I finally start picking it up on 15. A sweet tee shot and a decent approach leave me with a birdie putt that I shank - of course, and another sweet tee shot on 16 get me to the green in regulation. I then 2 putt for 2 pars in a row. I am feeling it. 17 comes along - after taking a quick bath, my ball is on the front fringe about 10 feet from the hole.

At this point 1 of 3 things happen inside Ashley's head. She either thinks 1- Holy moley J-stew if I have to watch my husband 3 putt one more time I swear... 2- This has been fun, I would like to try my putting skills, let's have a go, or 3- I dominate with the putter; let me show you how it's done.

She walks over to where I am standing with her hand outstretched - doesn't say a word. I say "are you putting for me now?" "Yep." "Ok." I stand back, watch, and wait. Ashley then asks, "how do you hold the putter?" I coach her, "however feels comfortable." She then lines it up, looks at the hole, and sinks it. Just like that. At this point I am thinking about just turning my clubs over to her and watching her golf on TV. It was awesome.

18 comes along. Another sweet tee shot, another in the water (going for the green it two - sliced it right, so another putt from maybe 15-20 feet - I just give the putter to Ashley - no questions asked. She again lines it up, looks at the hole, at putts... perfect speed, downhill by the way, she leaves it about a foot left. Taps it in. I am hoping for some lessons at a discounted rate sometime next week. I've got to get my pride/manhood/ego back.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Good job ash, now send the c-dub to the front room to practice putting on the carpet while sending ty man to chase the ball. his putting skills will improve.

Tikes said...

It must be the shoes.

Tikes said...

So if you guys did a scramble, where you just get to the green and then let Ash bring it home, you would do great.

Riley Alexander said...

I dont know about anyone else but I had mad game at mini golf. Hub... I eat peices of crap like you for breakfast (insert next line of movie here) But as for Ash, I think I could take her any day.

Tobias said...

I would like to put 5$ on Ashley.. I say that Ash could kick the %^*( out of Ri-bone in mini golf. I bet I could woop all of you!!! I would be willing to bet bet value meals on this one. I suck at woods, but make up for it with the putter.

Riley Alexander said...

You have made a grave mistake on that guess Kode. I haven't been for a long time, but I'm prettysure I could have been ranked nationally. I handed out beatdowns to Sam, and freinds or whoever happened to be with me on the course like candy.

Ashley said...

Sounds like Riley, Kody, & I all need to make a trip to Trafalga or the other one--Cascade?. I haven't been since the time in St. George @ Fiesta Fun.
I'm not sure if I have THAT much confidence in myself to call it.
Guess we'll let it play out and see if the smack off paid off.