Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Caution: Potentially Disgusting Nursing Update...


As the days have grown shorter in these last few weeks, so have my awesome posts. Halloween is tomorrow and that is pretty much it. Not a lot going on in Genola. So, I am here writing today about what my latest clinical day was like. As you may have guessed, I saw a total knee replacement. It was pretty awesome. It took longer than I thought it would, but it was very interesting. I have come the the conclusion that orthopedic surgeons are little more than overpaid carpenters. The reason is elementary my dear Watson. I witnessed the surgeon use a drill, a saw, and a hammer. He used all of these, and other tools, more than once. It is no wonder people are in such pain after surgery. It kinda hurt me a little just watching. I was actually very proud of myself for not getting queasy. When the Dr. cut through the top of the Tibia and bone debris started flying I got worried, but it was in vain. I kept it all in and didn't even get light headed. Old news for Colby, but it's new to me. I did watch the Anesthesiologist intibate the patient and sit there on the phone for 2 hours though. Rough. Anyway, just thought I would share.

10 comments:

Riley Alexander said...

Is this the "New Knee 5000" model? Clearly one of the best models available. And why not when you can have a framer..... I mean a Orthopedic surgeon install it? What a steal! I myself if I ever do this, am not worried about getting grossed out, my love for violence in movies has prepared me for what I am sure to witness. But I am proud of you C-hub. Wait to hold down your lunch. E#

Riley Alexander said...

By the way definitly an E# for T-Slobber's mug shot on the right!

Riley Alexander said...

p.s. - I think I just solved your problem, he not under the influence, he's only acting like that, and like he's passing out, or going to pass out simply becuase of the squash he's being forced to eat. (I'm with you Ty) I would do the same.

Tikes said...

That picture is a knee? It looks like a steel buttocks shoved inside of a sack full of brains.

Is that what my knee looks like?

Unwar drills, hammers, or saws anywhere near my body parts.

Hub said...

This is a picture of what is left of someone's knee, yes. And yes, they do feel like butt after the surgery. Riley can go ahead and point out off of the anatomical landmarks if you want him to.

Unknown said...

Yes I have seen a few of these procedures in my day, they once were fun to watch, now it is just a matter of shielding myself with the blue drape as to avoid the bone fragment shower that occurs when the surgeon/welder/mechanic/lumberjack hacks off the femur or tibia with his power tools. what is noticeable about this picture is the actual size of the knee that is being replaced. notice how the adipose or fat tissue is practically screaming out for joy as the skin has been opened, much like puss out of a well squeezed pimple. it is rather sad when the leg below the knee is just as fat as the leg above the knee, and once draped, you lose all bearing on up and down. another enjoyable part of this surgery is the plastic patella that is cemented back in place, and clamped in there with a device not unlike a nutcracker. E# to C-Hub for not passing out or blowing chunks, as that is not cool in sterile enviornments or when you have a mask covering the exit hole where puke would be released.

Riley Alexander said...

It's so good to live in the year 2007 where we have so much technolgy. So, I just dont get why this specific surgery is done with a couple of Dewalt tools. They better not do my shoulder like this, although I would want to see some pictures of it.

Hub said...

I saw some shoulder scopes too. If they just scope it they poke a couple holes, stick in a lens and some tubes, check things out, maybe removed some bad cartilage, but that's it. They might even keep the video. I know that they take some pictures at least.

Hub said...

I didn't know that Dr. P's of J was posting on the whole process of scopes. I will refer Ri-Bone and anybody else interested in shoulder scopes (or anything of a medical nature) to P's of J.

Kara said...

wow that is discusting...that is all i have to say